On Wednesday, May 7, at 6:30 p.m., the Massillon Genealogical Society will present “The History of the Massillon Club” during its monthly meeting. Guest speaker Dave Rankl will present the program.
The idea of a having a clubhouse available for members to hold social gatherings and entertain friends and family was conceived by a handful of businessmen in 1917. Since then, the club underwent more than one remodeling, and was eventually sold after several years of declining revenue and membership. This piece of local history was one of only two private city clubs still operating in the state, according to club officials. The other was located in Columbus.
According to local historian Margy Vogt, the building that housed the club predated the club itself, served as a funeral home, and was the residence of a prominent citizen. A major renovation in the 1970s included the addition of gold-toned, stained glass windows on the west side of the first-floor dining area. One of the windows featured the city’s sesquicentennial logo. The big, round table at the club held an important role among the city’s business owners and women were not given a seat at the table until the 1980s. It was traditional for many years for political candidates to gather at the club and wait for election results to trickle in.
The public is invited to attend this free program held at the Lillian Beane Center, 1711-16th Street SE, in Massillon. No registration is required.
The Massillon Genealogical Society welcomes the public to its meetings and programs. For more information, contact Jean Adkins at 330-832-9831, ext. 337.